Thursday 26 November 2009

The Junk - Novus Ordo Seclorum

Reviewed by John Tait

Skacore: An interesting genre and one I can’t say I’ve heard too much of. However The Junk have given me an interest in their debut Novus Ordo Seclorum. As a punk addict I can safely say the first part of track 1 will not disappoint. With tight instrumentation, it begins with the energetic fast drumming that is so fundamental to many a good punk band. That is the first half of track number 1 however, which is followed by some kind of break down and I had no idea what was happening or what they were getting at, the song petering out eventually. Never mind, the second track has more punch to it, and I got a feel of the Mad Caddies with a gritty Leftover Crack edge. This track is more chirpy n’ cheerful, saving the record from banality in my view, and track 3 delivers a very listenable sound. The music is ideal for any fans of street punk and/or ska, although it may lack one or the other for some. One more issue I have with this is that the vocals sound a bit distant. Some of the raw energy devoted to their instruments would give the vocals the boost the band so very much needs. But apart from those easily solved issues The Junk should keep it up.

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment