Tuesday 10 November 2009

Absent Elk - Change My World

Reviewed by Scott McLoughlin

Unlike many, I had the advantage of knowing Absent Elk prior to being asked to review their track ‘Change My World’; an absolutely lovely and thoroughly enjoyable track. Serene, gentle and composed, ‘change my world’ is very agreeable. The vocals of Kjetil Morland are likewise as agreeable; reaffirming this Anglo-Norwegian five pieces tranquil charm. However, ‘change my world’ is not their strongest song, or the song of theirs I would tout to a friend hoping they become a fan. Though beautiful, it is quite forgettable, unlike, for example, their ubër catchy tune ‘Cannibals’. What I do know, however, is that ‘change my world’ adds credibility and variety to a band sporting a largely indie-pop sound. In the age of x-factor and what I like to call ‘capital orientated crap pop’ (a big general opinion I know) it is refreshing to hear a good band playing and writing good popular music. This track has everything a good pop song needs; likable vocals, pleasant acoustic guitar, strings, and drums that build up but don’t over power. It isn’t even over produced! When the drums kick in you can’t help but smile, and think things like; ‘Wow…life really isn’t all bad, at least we have sparrows…and chaffinches’. Mindless mental wanderings aside, it seems pop has become somewhat of a taboo term, associated with less than ‘indie-cool’ things. If you ask me Absent Elk are indie-cool, yet remain categorically pop. Just looking at the bands Absent Elk have supported gives you an inclination that they are indeed pop act (for those interested Elk have supported: Girl’s Aloud, the Script, Keane, and the Hoosiers). They have also done a pretty good home recording and reworking of Lady Gaga’s Pokerface: available to listen to on YouTube. Unashamedly, as a result of listening to Absent Elk I am happy to say I have some faith in good pop again. If you really wanted to you could describe Absent Elk as Scandinavian folk driven gentle indie, but that’s stupid, it’s guitar pop, and that’s nothing to be put off by. Well done Absent Elk, and thank you for bringing back some pop hope to the ‘scene’ generations (even if that wasn’t your intention).

Absent Elk’s album is out now, and ‘Change my World’ is released as a single on the 30/11/2009.

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment