Sunday 31 January 2010

Last Letter Read – These Stories Roll

Reviewed by Chris Render

I surprised myself this weekend by how much I enjoyed this EP from Last Letter Read. The Sussex based peddlers of floppy haired pop-punk had been compared to the likes of Busted and McFly, so naturally I assumed These Stories Roll would be terrible, an opportunity for me to exercise some journalistic venom. How wrong I was.

Although definitely of the same genre as the aforementioned “musicians”, Last Letter Read show a degree of talent and passion that far surpasses their predecessors. These Stories Roll is a fine showcase for a band acting to successfully revitalise a genre that many were glad to see die. Reminding me more of Savage Garden (who in spite of myself, I actually quite liked) than Busted (who I proudly did not), I hope and expect to hear more from Last Letter Read in the future. THIS is what the early Naughties should have sounded like.

4/5

B

No comments:

Post a Comment