Sunday 31 January 2010

Cancel the Astronauts – I am the President of Your Fan Club and Last Night I Followed You Home

Reviewed by Chris Render

If I’m honest, I offered to review this for a laugh. When I heard the title, I couldn’t help but grin. I never actually expected to enjoy it as much as I did. I am the President of Your Fan Club and Last Night I Followed You Home is catchy, cheerful and enjoyable, a triumphant EP about the often harsh realities of young love. Cancel The Astronauts are clearly both skilled musicians and very clever lyricists, juxtaposing less than cheery subject matter with upbeat tones to create an achingly catchy sound.

Although every track is a highlight, the really stand out moment for me on this EP was Late in the City: a tale of love and loss set to music that seems made to dance to, that is fast becoming one of my favourite songs of the year. Cancel The Astronauts seems perfect for a mainstream student audience (the kind of people you could find filling the Cooperage (RIP) on a Monday night). More than anything, I would describe I am the President of Your Fan Club and Last Night I Followed You Home as fun. Clearly, the Scottish musicians love playing as much as I love hearing it.

5/5

A

No comments:

Post a Comment