Tuesday 8 December 2009

The Fast and The Furious Soundtrack Sampler

Reviewed by Ben Lowes-Smith

I feel out of my depth with this one. I haven’t seen any of the films in this franchise (nor do I have any intention to). I don’t know how well they’ll work in the context of the film, which I suppose is their primary purpose. The press release promises ‘head thumping bangers’, and listening to the CD, these songs wouldn’t seem out of place juxtaposed with a car chase or an explosion, or sound tracking a serious-faced Vin Diesel rubbing himself against a pliant stranger in a dimly lit night club. I’d expect they’d do the job.

Worst of the bunch is Busta Rhymes’ ‘G-Stro’. He’s on autopilot here, the lyrics are pretty banal and he keeps advocating a young lady (presumably) to ‘show me your G-stro’. (What is this? Is it a car part? An item of clothing? Something rude?)

Best of the bunch are ‘Bang’ by Rye Rye ft. M.I.A, which has some fairly erratic beats, and is, y’know, quite a lot of fun, and ‘Krazy’ by Pitbull ft. Lil’ Jon. They both sound like attention deprived children toying around in the studio, with disregard for convention. The song is very enjoyable and the chorus is cacophonous and very danceable.

No comments:

Post a Comment