Tuesday 2 March 2010

N. Wolex - I Don't Wanna Be Your Hero

Reviewed by Jennie Mitchell

The press release for N.Wolex didn’t give me much enthusiasm to hear their latest single. The accompanying description of a song “about a girl who rebels against her parent’s wishes’ for a ‘safe’ career path” left me expecting little more than a generic whine from an artist desperately clinging to the angst of their adolescent past. However, what I didn’t expect was just quite how bad it would be. The track opens with a bizarre criss-cross of musical styles, from a pitiable endeavour at a string orchestra, to a monotonous plod from a haphazardly selected piano key and jarring electric guitar with an attempt at a hip-hop Bollywood mash up. Basically I struggled to listen to the full 3 minutes and 38 seconds of atrocity, painfully accompanied by strained screechy vocals, which caused me to hesitate over the artists’ gender. I’ll give N. Wolex some credit, it is different, but here, in the interests your own auditory wellbeing, it’s definitely worth sticking to what you know.

1 comment:

  1. my dad's music is cool and wonerful so u cant say nothing

    ReplyDelete