Tuesday 13 October 2009

Jyl Millard - Ace of Spades

Reviewed by "Synthesiser" Tom Waldron

Q: “Who would win in an arm wrestling match Lemmy or God”

A: “Trick question, Lemmy is God”

And with that oft-quoted line from the movie “Airheads” my foray into the world of electronica covers of Motorhead songs begins… I’ll have to admit my knowledge of Electro is a bit rubbish, I mean I don‘t even know who “Toxic Pete” is although I think he may have appeared on Channel 4’s “Nathan Barley” but I can’t be sure. However I’m an expert on all things Lemmy so I’ll approach this from that angle. Judging from the songs press release it would seem that part of Jyl’s agenda was to offend the hairys and have them muttering on about how “metal rules” and “that techno crap belongs on mars” and so on. I’m sorry to say that I’m a rock fan and I didn’t hate this, didn’t love it either (sorry Jyl!) Novelty versions of songs aren’t really my cup of tea but I kind of dug the approach taken to Fast Eddie Clarke’s guitar work on this version: it’s been slowed down giving it a very bluesy vibe illustrating how Motorhead is underneath all that volume, and there’s a lot of volume involved, (go see them live in November if you doubt this, yes that is a plug.) essentially a blues-rock band in the tradition of the Yardbirds. The B-side here is a Millard original called “Slo and Crazy” and this track shows the Portishead influence in her music and works far better now that the novelty factor is gone.

2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment