Monday 20 October 2008

Dear Superstar - Heartless

Before listening to this album, I’d never heard of Dear Superstar, hence I was unsure of what to expect. I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised. Although the Bullet For My Valentine style metal-core I was expecting (not a genre I’m really into) was undeniably present, it was competently merged with more classic metal influences. Heartless left me startled, but in a good way.
Heartless starts out strongly with Brink of Destruction, a heavy metal triumph with note worthy guitar work and an unforgettable chorus. In contrast, Dear Superstar’s metal-core influences are much more obvious on Live Love Lie with guest vocals courtesy of members of Bullet For My Valentine. Other highlights include Signposts to Bedposts, with its powerful riffs, the significantly more laid back Can’t Write A Love Song and Diseased and Distraught, arguably the best showcase of Dear Superstar’s mixed influences.
My only real criticism of Heartless is that although the album shows a degree of variety, sometimes it can sound a bit samey. However, it could be argued that this is the result of adhering to a specific musical style. All in all, I definitely enjoyed Heartless, and would recommend it to heavy metal fans everywhere.

Review by Chris Render

No comments:

Post a Comment